Friday, September 14, 2012

The Number 31

31.
The last number you could find in the calendar.
The last number that you could find your age in it.

If not all, then, most of the people who reach 31 would associate it with the last number in the calendar.
The age you could still be considered “young”.
And when your 31st year is over, you will be looking forward to age 40.
Why? It is because of the saying “Life begins at 40”.
It’s when you would feel young again.

When my 30th year was almost over, I was thinking what I must do to remind me of my 31st birthday.
It made me think of giving myself a pixie cut since short hair makes you look young.
But was I ready for it?
Honestly, I wasn’t.

I haven’t tried it since I was 5 years old – the time my hair was cut by my childhood friend because the bubble gum I ate was stuck in my hair.
However, I was determined to do it.
Anyways, it won’t take long to grow it back.

I then searched the net for a model showing off her pixie cut.
I chose Carey Mulligan’s picture and saved it in my phone.
I also asked Mais what salon gives a good haircut.
She suggested Salon de Rose and David’s Salon.


And so, after my MS class, Tacs and I went to David’s Salon at E-mall.
I prefer gay hairdressers for their known talent, unfortunately, there was none in that salon at that time.
And it scared me. More so when I knew that their hairdresser was a male.
When it was my turn, the hairdresser asked what hairstyle I liked.
I showed him the picture from my phone.
He said “mu-bua gud” seeing my almost-two-feet-long hair.
When he grabbed his pair of scissors, my heart was pounding very fast.
I drew my attention to the magazine I was holding until it was over.
And when it was over, I looked at the mirror, looked at Tacs, and asked him if it was okay.
He had a big smile and nodded.
In just minutes, my years-long hair was gone and the “new me” appeared!

I am 31 years old and I am young!


No comments: